Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Never-Ending Story of a Traditional Cookie - A Reason to Smile


Have you ever wondered why traditional cookie recipes remain heartwarming? I still find old mounds of sugary and peanut butter cookies very addicting. Perhaps its the  time-tested vintage taste that will have you reminiscing back to earlier days?

When I was a kid, making sugar cookies were one of my mother's masterpieces. She had an old recipe from my grandmother. The cookie recipe was not easy to make and I just loved helping her make the dough. Since cookies were among her most selling baked-good at her Holiday Bakery (after her puddings), I enjoyed times when I help rolling out the dough and cut them out using our small supply of holiday cookie cutters. I loved decorating them with icing. She showed me how to deal with the simple tasks of making  cookies and baking cakes.

Over the years, I learned making prettier sugar cookies with mom. I even took pre-baked cookies in school and made fun cookie decorating messes with a few classmates after classes. Once, I was amazed the neighbor children to return my plate, empty, within just minutes of having sent it over. I never in my wildest dreams imagined making delicious cookies at age 12. I never expected to inherit my grandmother's arm strength to beat the egg whites stiff by hand using an old-fashioned whisk (I prefer using my father's hand-made whisk). A method that I am still good at today (thanks to my small arms!)

Those cookies were simply that good and I've never considered trying another recipe. It's maybe the reason why I feel nostalgic every time I style mom's old-fashioned cookie recipe into modern dreidels. I long for her every time I ponder upon Pillsbury bake-offs remembering her sweating as she wrestled with the heavy antique irons over an open flame on the stove.
Filipino Meringue Cookies (Pasencia) by Apple Pie, Patis & Pate

Old-Fashioned Buttermilk Cookies - A  photo from Mommy's Kitchen
Traditional Shortbread Cookies - Photo by Addie's Pantry

Old Peanut Butter Cookies - Photo by Delicious Dishes

Even with the popularity of Splenda today, a lot of people still use the classic brown sugar and wheat pastry flour in place of modern flour. It's also awesome that oatmeal is still remembered a great substitute to contemporary dried ingredients. Tradition still reigns!

Oatmeal still a great substitute to contemporary dried ingredients


A Splenda cookie today

The unforgettable tradition of brown sugar cookies 
Historical Pillsbury 



The flour that keeps melting my heart
If you are like me, then you know why traditional cookie recipes are as delicious as they sound. They are a great thing to make with kids today if you have any little hands eager to help in making them. Today, every time I see my mother's time-aged cookie book, I remember that time in our lives when she was still around... and like always, I quietly would celebrate that cookie memories that have put the best colors to our lives.

At the corner of my heart, I know that there will never be other memorable-tasting cookies to beat hers. Not for anything else but because it carries the love of the traditional sugar cookie recipe we used to know- from mom.

2 comments:

  1. What a memorable reflection Tonette. You just touched my heart. Thanks for reminding me of the time I can make the most while my mother is still with me. Awesome post, very hearty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kara. I'm glad I made you feel great about your mother. Old-fashioned ways always carry Mom's personal touch. Thanks for dropping by. All the best to you.

    ReplyDelete

Send me comments